Innovare is hosting the Trusted AI At Scale event, which will award $ 19 million to small businesses
ROM, NY (WUTR / WFXV / WPNY-TV) – Trusted AI at Scale, an artificial intelligence event presented by the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) and the Innovare Advancement Center, will take place virtually July 26-28 Will take place in 2021. Free and open to the public, the event will bring together technology leaders from government, academia and industry to explore the challenges of developing AI systems that are safe, secure, robust, powerful and effective.
Trusted AI at Scale encompasses two Air Force events: US Air Force Pitch Day Small Business Innovation Research / Small Business Technology Transfer (USAF SBIR / STTR) – a company-wide AFRL activity led by the AFRL Information Directorate (RI) in Rome – as well as the last part of the Trusted AI Challenge Series.
The USAF SBIR / STTR Pitch Day model accelerates the Air Force’s acquisition, contract and award process and enables breakthrough technologies to be developed more quickly and transferred to our combat aircraft. During the Trusted AI at Scale event, nearly $ 19 million will be given to select small businesses on-site, enabling them to begin their planned AI research and development immediately.
The Trusted AI Challenge Series is a collaboration between AFRL, State University of New York (SUNY), Innovare Advancement Center, New York State Technology Enterprise Corporation (NYSTEC), Griffiss Institute and the National Security Innovation Network (NSIN) . This challenge will award up to $ 925,000 in suggestions that address trustworthiness in dynamic, autonomous AI systems. This is the third and final part of the workshop series that began in October 2020.
“The Air Force recognizes the essential role of small businesses and nonprofit research organizations in advancing our mission and building partnerships,” said Denise Lee, SBIR / STTR program manager, AFWERX liaison and co-host of the event. “Trusted AI at Scale is part of the Air Force’s larger science and technology ecosystem and is designed to engage and unite the global AI community. I’m excited to be part of a program that provides an opportunity to work directly with small businesses, stimulate high-tech innovation, and quickly drive impactful technological advances. ”
“Trusted AI at Scale is the culmination of a significant effort by Innovare partners in science, industry and government to improve the trustworthiness of dynamic, autonomous AI systems for the benefit of our national security and economic competitiveness,” said Heather Hage, President and CEO of Griffiss Institute. “Griffiss Institute is excited to offer this program to empower universities and small businesses to advance the state of the art in trusted AI. We celebrate the Air Force Research Laboratory and the State University of New York for their leadership in the implementation, congratulate the award winners on their achievements, and look forward to hearing the results of these projects.
The three day event will feature commentary from industry experts including Dr. Eric Horvitz, Microsoft’s Chief Scientific Officer, and Dr. Mark Maybury, Stanley Black & Decker’s chief technology officer; various panel discussions with live audience questions and inspiring presentations by respected government officials.
“The Trusted AI at Scale event is another step in promoting a collaborative ecosystem locally, nationally and internationally,” said Kevin Owens, President and CEO of NYSTEC. “As an AFRL partner through our partnership brokerage agreement [PIA], We are excited and honored to be part of this event that will further accelerate deep technology innovation and technology transfer. ”
Trusted AI at Scale is supported by NYSTEC, an AFRL Information Directorate Partnership Intermediary. To learn more about this event, visit https://www.innovare.org/trusted-ai-at-scale.
The full list of letters for this event includes:
- Mr. Gregory C. Allen, Director of Strategy and Policy, Department of Defense Joint Artificial Intelligence Center (JAIC)
- Dr. Paul Antonik, Senior Scientist, Information Directorate, AFRL
- Dr. Misty Blowers, Chief Technology Officer and Director of the Information War Room, Deputy Commandant of Information, Headquarters Marine Corps
- Dr. Sarah Bibyk, Research Psychologist, AFRL
- Dr. Timothy J. Bunning, Chief Technology Officer, AFRL, Air Force Materials Command
- Dr. Louise Carter, Director, Airman Systems Directorate, 711th Human Performance Wing, AFRL, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base (WPAFB), Ohio
- Dr. Victoria Coleman, Senior Scientist in the US Air Force
- Col Nathan P. Diller, Director, AFWERX
- Mr. Steven Dräger, Senior Electronics Engineer, AFRL
- Dr. Peter Friedland, Senior Scientific Advisor, United States Air Force
- Col Fred Garcia, Director, AFRL / RI
- Mr. Michael Graniero, Small Business Owner, AFRL / RI
- Dr. Michael Hayduk, Deputy Director, AFRL / RI
- Dr. Eric Horvitz, Chief Scientific Officer, Microsoft
- Mrs. Denise Lee, SBIR / STTR Program Manager, AFRL / RI
- Mr. Jean-Charles (JC) Ledé, Deputy Assistant Director, Tactical Technology Bureau, DARPA
- Dr. Ryan Luley, Senior Mathematician, AFRL / RI
- Dr. Joseph Lyons, Senior Research Psychologist; 711 Human Performance Wing, AFRL
- Dr. Mark Maybury, Chief Technology Officer, Stanley Black & Decker
- Dr. Joel Mozer, Senior Scientist, United States Space Force
- Dr. Chris Myers, Senior Cognitive Scientist, AFRL
- Major Jason Rathje, AFVentures Director, AFWERX
- Dr. William P. Roach, Senior Scientist, AFOSR
- Dr. Steven Rogers, Senior Scientist for Automatic Target Recognition and Sensor Fusion, AFRL
- Mrs. Karen Roth, Senior Engineer, AFRL / RI
- Captain Matthew Ruden, Chief Innovation Officer and Directorate CAG Chief, PEO Digital, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center, Hanscom AFB, MA
- Dr. Laura Steckmann, Program Officer, AFOSR
- Dr. Matt Turek, Innovation Office (120) Program Manager, DARPA
- Dr. Alvaro Velasquez, Research Associate, AFRL
- Dr. Stuart Wagner, Chief Digital Transformation Officer, Air Force Division
- Mr. Steven Worth, Program Executive Officer Digital, Air Force Life Cycle Management Center (AFLCMC)
- Dr. Bryant Wysocki, Technical Advisor, C4I and Cyber Systems, Air Force; Deputy Director, AFRL / RI